Dyslexia Support in Public Schools

Looking for tips on getting public school support for your dyslexic child? Check out our 10 Quick Tips for dyslexia special education in public schools.

Parents must give informed consent for a school to evaluate a child. Parents can also withdraw, contest, or disagree with recommendations.

While you want what is best for your child, the school is legally required to provide what is appropriate.

Under the law, your child has the right to a free and appropriate education, according to an individual’s needs.

Students who receive special services should be taught with students who do not require accommodations when appropriate (least restrictive environment).

  • They should not be pulled out of general education classrooms for inclusion in special education classrooms when easily implementable accommodations can be provided.
  • The law considers most students with disabilities as being able to meet the standards of those students without disabilities.

Use specific language and don’t be vague. Educate yourself so you can speak directly to the struggles your child is having.

Encourage cooperation. You, as the parent, and the school ultimately want your child to succeed. Be assertive but not aggressive.

Ask for everything in writing. Any objections you make, requests from the school, and/or communications about your child’s academics, behaviors, or accommodations should be documented in writing and include dates.

You have the right to take notes or bring someone to take notes during meetings with the school.

Do NOT wait if you think your child has an issue that is impacting his/her learning. Identify and refer immediately. There is no worst case scenario in being proactive.

Finally, special education services are designed to be free, meet the individual needs of the student, are designed to allow the child to make meaningful progress from grade to grade, and provide an appropriate educational setting for your child.

For additional information concerning special education services (IEPs, 504 Plans, FAPE), we suggest you visit Understood.org and Wrightslaw.com.

ReadSourceDyslexia Support in Public Schools