Remediation Specialist at ReadSource
Job Title: Remediation Specialist
Payroll Status: Salary Exempt, Part-time (approx. 25 hrs)
Schedule: Monday-Thursday, 8:30am-3:00pm, mid-July through mid-May
Location: Purpose Built Schools Atlanta (T.H. Slater Elementary or Luther J. Price Middle Schools)
Revised Date: February 2023
To provide high-quality reading remediation in small groups at Purpose Built Schools Atlanta in southeast Atlanta
To enrich the partnership by becoming a part of partner school communities, working to understand and contribute to its culture and literacy practices while helping improve and grow ReadSource’s remediation model
A remediation specialist uses her/his extensive knowledge of the science of reading and experience with teaching reading to advance the literacy skills of struggling readers at ReadSource’s partner schools.
- Provide comprehensive reading remediation in small groups (to include all needed elements of structured literacy based on data from norm-referenced and curriculum-based measures)
- Provide understanding and patience for students who struggle with reading for a variety of complex reasons
- Demonstrate understanding for students whose behavior and choices may be influenced by trauma
- Embrace flexibility in both the instructional needs of students and the execution of the remediation model
- Collaborate with partner school faculty and staff to establish positive relationships with students and within the school community based on mutual respect and growth
MAIN WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
Managing Director, Director of Research & Development, Project Coordinators, and Partner Schools Faculty and Staff.
- Minimum of a B.S.
- Extensive and documented experience with the teaching of reading, preferably with the Orton Gillingham Approach or an Orton Gillingham based program (e.g., Wilson Reading, Really Great Reading, Kendore, Lindamood-Bell, etc.)
- Extensive education experience, and a passion for working with students in an urban, high needs environment
- Flexibility and willingness to prioritize a mission and goal over a prescribed plan or curriculum
Interested candidates should a current resume, cover letter and a professional reference list to Michele Santa Maria, Director of Human Resources for ReadSource: [email protected].
ReadSource provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Schenck School/ReadSource complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Schenck School/ReadSource expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of the School’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.